What separates us from the rest
We are a program that knows what we are about. We are about giving great medical care in whatever environment we may find ourselves to those in great need. We believe in training in low resource settings, so that you will be able to provide excellent care in challenging environments. We are a global city and work very hard to prepare you to work wherever you find yourself to include San Antonio, South Texas, and across the world. We consider it a privilege to live and work in our multicultural city with its large refugee population that allows us to practice global medicine each and every day.
Our curriculum and practicum
We are the ideal training site for our mission to teach the next generation of physicians and allied healthcare providers.
- Case-based discussions and interactive learning activities
- Clinical rotation curriculum in partnership with University Hospital in the largest Emergency Department in South Texas
- Specialized research and academics in the areas of Ultrasound, Global Health, resuscitation, patient safety, and operational medicine
- Unparalleled Ultrasound education and one-on-one bedside training
- Preparation to work with underserved populations and work in low-resource environments to include at home and across borders.
Simulation is newest methodology to train healthcare professionals in the experiential learning of resuscitation, uncommon pathologies, and complex cases in a low stake environment.
Benefits of medical simulation include
- Developing decision-making, interventions, and procedures in real time.
- Articulating communication and developing leadership skills that will carry over to the care of patients.
- Experience in a growing field that offers scholarly and research opportunities to interested residents and students.
Our residents participate in individualized learning activities to meet didactic requirements.
- Each resident must participate in 5 hours/week of didactic emergency medicine learning. Weekly conference and Grand Rounds participation primarily satisfy these requirements.
- The faculty provides a list of different asynchronous online activities to aid requirements.
Our faculty members are committed to providing an outstanding education through bedside clinical teaching experiences as well as mentoring.
We provide a comprehensive curriculum that trains our graduates to be outstanding clinicians, educators and leaders in the field of Emergency Medicine.
Our mission is to provide outstanding patient-centered clinical care. As the largest ER in San Antonio, we are the ideal training site for future healthcare providers. Over 50 residency trained, board-certified emergency physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners embody our dedicated teaching staff.
Our alumni are the embodiment of Texas investing in education and healthcare. While our alumni make an impact on emergency medicine and healthcare globally, they overwhelmingly call Texas home after they graduate. They go on to practice medicine in myriad settings including academia and teaching, private practice in the community, and the military.
“Throughout my residency journey, it’s been evident that the faculty really cares about our future. The patient experiences have been a constant learning curve as the pathology we encounter is so vast. At UT Health, especially in our emergency department, you’re not just a face in the crowd. And for that, I am grateful.”
Georgia McRoy, M.D.
Contact by mail
UT Health San Antonio Emergency Medicine
Attn: Melissa A. Villanueva
7703 Floyd Curl Drive MC7736
San Antonio TX 78229-3900