The Department of Emergency Medicine is committed to excellence in patient care, education, and research. We are honored that the people of South Texas choose us for their emergency care. We take seriously the mission of teaching the next generation of emergency medicine physicians.
- Provide outstanding patient centered clinical care.
- Teach the next generation of physicians and providers.
- Develop a culture of research and academic excellence to support UME and GME.
- Support UT Health San Antonio, University Health System, and other partners to improve community health.
- Become the premier Academic Emergency Medicine Program in Texas based on a culture of scholarship and excellence.
- Establish a patient centered clinical practice as the Emergency Department of choice for San Antonio.
- Duty: Caring for our patients, teaching our students, and building great programs to support them. Ours is a sacred mission, not just a job.
- Respect: For our patients, our students, our colleagues and teammates.
- Integrity: We handle ourselves with honesty, clarity and forthrightness.
- Teamwork: Emergency Medicine more than any other specialty is unequivocally based on the ability of our team to function as a cohesive unit towards a shared goal.
Clinical Practice Fast Facts
Patients Treated Annually
South Texas Counties Served
The largest ER in San Antonio
University Hospital houses South Texas’ busiest Level I Trauma Center for adult care and the only Level I Pediatric Trauma Center in South Texas. We surround you with our caring and committed healthcare professionals while providing the best care possible.
San Antonio life
From its humble beginnings as Mission San Antonio de Valero to the seventh largest city of the nation, San Antonio boasts a rich culture and friendly citizens. Our historic city is home to the Alamo, the Riverwalk, and scenic Texas Hill Country. Whether you’re enjoying the great outdoors at Braunig Lake or cheering on the Spurs, this tight-knit, big city community has a place for you.