The Emergency Medicine Student Association (EMSA) is a student organization dedicated to fostering the development of medical students interested in pursuing a career in Emergency Medicine. At EMSA we cherish the opportunity to share with medical students our own excitement, interest, and enthusiasm for Emergency Medicine. Our objectives are to:
- Introduce students to the specialty of Emergency Medicine;
- Provide an opportunity for students to see what the ED is like firsthand through the Mentorship Program;
- Provide resources to help students accomplish their goals in pursuit of EM as a career;
- Educate all students on what EM is about and what it takes to be an Emergency Medicine physician.
EMSA offers numerous programs and opportunities to help accomplish these objectives, including:
- Mentorship Program: EMSA pairs its members with their own EM Faculty Mentor, who serves as a personal advisor and welcomes students to shadow whenever they want
- Monthly Skills Labs: past labs have included Beginner and Advanced Suture, Intubation, Ultrasound, and Trauma Simulations
- Monthly Meetings: to educate our members on different EM topics, ranging from Disaster Scenarios and EMS Ride-Along Opportunities to the Business of EM and EM Residencies
- Monthly Cases: apply your classroom knowledge to EM cases and win prizes by submitting a diagnosis and treatment plan for the monthly case
- Fun social events: BBQs, meet and greets, and nights out to get to know other members and EM Faculty in an informal setting
- And much more!
The future of Emergency medicine is bright, and today’s students are the future. EMSA welcomes all that are interested to join, and let us help guide you there.
Please feel free to join our Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/167632173307270 to gain access to valuable resources and hear about our upcoming events!